Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Election 2016: A Letter to my Children

**Please note: I am not writing this blog post to change anyone's mind, or tell anyone how to vote. I am writing it for my children.  Being able to vote for the candidate of your choice is a phenomenal right that this country bestows upon us. I will respect your decision on who to vote for, I ask that you please respect mine. That is all.

Dear Kids,

I know you are too young to grasp the gravity of the current situation, but I want to make sure that years from now, when you're reading these posts, you know where I stood during this historic time in our country.

Every election is important--I won't deny that.  I always have my favorite, but this time it is different.  This time when I consider what would happen if my candidate loses, I feel short of breath, like I was just sucker punched. I feel a wave of nervousness and nausea sweep over me, and my heart physically hurts, as I am terrified about what it would mean for your future.

You see, your grandfather came to this country 50 years ago.  For as long as I can remember, I have not heard him utter a single negative word about America.  He loves it here, it is his home, and he truly believes it is the land of opportunity.  (He came here with $17 in his pocket. Literally.)  America is a country where we thrive on diversity--people of different races, different skin colors, different religions--we all work together.  Are we perfect?  Far from it.  But we try.  And we stand up not only when we are being discriminated against, but when anyone is being discriminated against.  We are not visitors here--this is our home.  Just as much your home and my home as anyone else's home.  He seeks to divide us, and make us feel like we are visitors in "his" country.  His rallies are full of racist comments, and that allowance of hate breeds more hate. I cannot be clear enough--a leader who does not condemn (and often perpetuates) hate essentially pours gasoline on a fire. Because I don't want to worry about how you will be treated based on the sound of your names, the misconceptions that could arise from your skin color or choice of religion, and because I want to stand up for what your grandfather originally came to this country for, I am with her.

You both know the biggest lesson in our home is to be an "includer."  Never exclude anyone, and if someone looks like they are being excluded, make it a point to include them.  Never pretend not to hear someone when they speak to you, purposefully ignore them, or pretend to be better than anyone else. That's just mean, and no one likes mean.  Mean people need to put others down in order to gain power. They need people to be scared in order to keep power. Most importantly, mean breeds a culture where all sorts of horrendous things are condoned and tolerated.  It has a way of bringing out the worst in people, and the worst in a country.  And in our family, we don't do mean.  This time, I am with her.

But there are other options, you may say.  Why not vote for a third party if there is a better candidate? Sure, I could use my vote as an opportunity to send a message to Washington.  However, I've seen first hand how a third party can change the outcome of an election (ask me about the 2000 election when you're older), and this time, there is simply too much on the line.  Either he or she will win this election, I can promise you that.  You will be watching this President through young eyes--looking for how to behave, how to speak, how to be a leader.  You will listen to his or her words and ideals and assume they are what is acceptable as you navigate through the early stages of your life. You see, this election is so much bigger than a moment to make a statement.  It's (at least) a four year commitment. This next President holds your early childhood in their hands, and because your future is infinitely more important than me sending a message, I am with her.

I remember my pride in voting for Barack Obama (twice).  He inspired and motivated me (and still does), and I knew I was becoming a part of history in helping to elect our nation's first black president.  It is not lost on me that this is another historic time.  However, I want to be clear here--I am not voting for her because she is a woman.  In all honesty, I am a bit nervous because she is a woman.  Not nervous because I believe she is incapable--in fact, I would argue she is probably the most qualified person to ever run for the office.  I am nervous because it remains to be seen, if she is elected, how the media will handle her gender.  Will they report less on her decisions and more on what designer she is wearing?  How much her jacket cost? If she gained or lost weight?  If her hair is different?  If she is wearing heels or flats?  Too many pantsuits and not enough skirts?  Or vice-versa?  I will absolutely lose my mind.  I am going to hope that the media will offer the President of the United States the same respect, whether the office houses a man or a woman, and if that is the case, I am excited to live in a time where you will never question whether a woman can be President.  The fact that she is a nominee has already cracked a huge glass ceiling.  But I hope, for the reasons I've stated and so many others, that in November I will help elect the first female President of the United States.  Have no question, in this election, I am standing up against racism, discrimination, and bullying. Standing up against using fear as a tactic to control people.  Standing up for an America I believe is already great.  Standing up for experience, hard work, perseverance and unity.  Most importantly, I am standing up for your future. In this election, make no mistake, I am definitely and most certainly with her.  

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

  1. Very well written and 100% true Neha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well articulated Neha! Proud of you for your values.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well articulated Neha! Proud of you for your values.

    ReplyDelete